As client confidentiality is one of the hallmarks of GUARD Archaeology Ltd's consultancy services, we can't really showcase any of our consultancy work.
However, with over twenty five years of experience of providing archaeological services for a range of private sector and public sector groups across the UK and abroad, our consultants ensure that our work not only meets agreed deadlines and budgets but attains a high professional standard, adhering to Chartered Institute for Archaeologists guidelines and standards. In fact, all GUARD Archaeology Consultants are members of the Institute for Archaeologists.
GUARD Archaeology staff have expertise in all archaeological periods, from the earliest prehistoric settlements to twentieth century industrial and military remains. Our staff have extensive experience of conducting archaeological consultancy services including Environmental Impact Assessment (Cultural Heritage), Archaeological Mitigation Design and Delivery, Scheduled Monument Consent Applications, and the preparation and provision of expert submissions for Planning Inquiries and Appeals. We regularly negotiate proposed scopes of work for archaeological mitigation required by planning conditions.
GUARD Archaeology has the capability to carry out all archaeological services required for the pre-planning stages of a development and the mitigation required to sign off planning consent conditions. Our expertise is available at every stage of the development process, from pre-planning advice and initial desk-based assessments to mitigation services and post-excavation analysis, or as a second opinion for archaeological works undertaken by other organisations.
GUARD Archaeology consultants have also reviewed and developed guidance, standards and research by a number of means including:
- Consultation responses to Scottish Government legislation and guidance such as SPP, SPP23, SHEP
- Authorship of over 200 papers and articles
- Refereeing of submissions to peer-reviewed journals
- Membership of the Board of the Council for Scottish Archaeology (2004-2007)
- Membership of the Board of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (2007-2010)
- Membership of the Council for the Scottish Group of the Institute for Archaeologists (2013-present)
- Membership of the Editorial Board of History Scotland Magazine