On the run up to the 500th commemoration of the Battle of Flodden in 2013, GUARD Archaeology, in collaboration with the Centre for Battlefield Archaeology at Glasgow University, have been commissioned by Flodden 1513 Ecomuseum to conduct initial investigations at three sites: Ladykirk, Norham Castle and Ellemsford Haugh.
Our initial investigations, comprising topographic and geophysical surveys, included participation and training of local volunteers organised by the Flodden 1513 Ecomuseum heritage steering group. So far we have recorded remains of Old Ladykirk village and potential locations for the Scottish army's bombardment of Norham Castle. Our Geophysical Survey of a field south of the Castle located a possible artillery or troop emplacement related to the Scottish siege, earthworks and several partially upstanding mid-sixteenth century structures. At the Scottish army muster point of Ellemford Haugh, the survey recorded probable remains of campfires and the remains of possible earthworks.
A report on these findings is currently being prepared and further information on these surveys will be available soon.
The Flodden 500 project is funded by the