With over 25 years of experience of providing archaeological services for a range of private sector and public sector groups across the UK and abroad, GUARD archaeology Ltd’s consultants ensure that our work not only meets agreed deadlines and budgets but attains a high professional standard, adhering to Chartered Institute for Archaeologists guidelines and standards. In fact, all GUARD Archaeology Consultants are members of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists.
Our staff have expertise in all archaeological periods, from the earliest prehistoric settlements to twentieth century industrial and military remains. GUARD Archaeology’s staff have extensive experience of conducting archaeological consultancy services including Environmental Impact Assessment (Cultural Heritage), Archaeological Mitigation Design and Delivery, Scheduled Monument Consent Applications, and the preparation and provision of expert submissions for Planning Inquiries and Appeals. We regularly negotiate proposed scopes of work for archaeological mitigation, such as evaluations, surveys and excavations, required by planning conditions.
GUARD Archaeology has the capability to carry out all archaeological services required for the pre-planning stages of a development and the mitigation required to sign off planning consent conditions. Our expertise is available at every stage of the development process, from pre-planning advice and initial desk-based assessments to mitigation services and post-excavation analysis, or as a second opinion for archaeological works undertaken by other organisations.
We have also reviewed and developed guidance, standards and research by a number of means including:
- Consultation responses to Scottish Government legislation and guidance such as SPP, SPP23, SHEP
- Authorship of over 200 papers and articles
- Refereeing of submissions to peer-reviewed journals
- Membership of the validation Committee of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists
- Membership of the Council for the Scottish Group of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists
- Membership of the Board of Archaeology Scotland
- Membership of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
- Membership of the Editorial Board of History Scotland Magazine